Security Advice & Tips
Security and safety is London Southend Airport's main concern for all passengers, visitors and staff. By ensuring you have checked through the below we can endeavour to get you through quickly, safely and easily.
Restrictions on Liquids
There are restrictions on liquids, gels, pastes and creams which can be taken through security either in hand luggage or on your person. These include bottled drinks, suntan lotions, fragrances, cosmetics, toiletries, etc. These restrictions apply to all passengers departing from airports within the EU wherever their destination. It is worth reading through the following as any restricted liquids will be confiscated by our security team.
- Liquid items must be within a container marked 100ml or less - any liquids within a container marked larger than 100ml (whether full or not) will not be allowed airside
- All containers must be carried in a single, transparent, re-sealable plastic bag, which holds no more than a litre and measures 20cm by 20cm with no depth - Each passenger is only allowed to take through one sealed bag
- Liquids must be placed separately to luggage on the conveyor belt so that security staff are aware of their presence
- Liquids are any gel, cream, paste, fluid or treated solid
Baby Milk/Food & Medicines Through Security
Only carry what is needed for your journey. Wet wipes and powdered baby food do not count towards the liquid content, but you may be asked to taste baby milk or baby food in liquid, gel or paste form. You may be asked to taste up to 50% of the containers. You are able to take through the following in your hand luggage:
- Breast milk, formula milk, cow's milk
- Sterilised water (must be in a baby bottle)
- Soya milk for babies
- Baby food
If you are taking essential medicine then we understand that you need to bring it through security. Our advice is:
- Medicines cannot exceed the 100ml maximum liquid content, and must be kept in a transparent, re-sealable bag. There is no limit for powder or pills
- If your medical needs mean you must carry more than 100ml, you will need approval from your airline and have a valid prescription in your name
- Always carry your prescription with you, or a statement from a medical professional
- Please ensure that you pack the entirety of your bags yourself. Never allow anyone to tamper with your luggage
- Do not travel with any gifts or items on behalf of another person
- Never leave luggage unattended in or around the airport grounds. This is considered a security risk and all luggage left unattended will be removed and may be destroyed
- Do not pack any sharp or restricted items into your hand luggage. These items will be removed from your luggage
Once through security
Once you have passed through the security process there is no way to exit prior to your flight. All passengers are advised to ensure that if they are more than an hour early for their flight that they are willing to wait until their departure time.
There is no facility to smoke once through security in the departure lounge (this also includes e-cigarettes).